When to start looking
You can start by asking yourself the following questions:
- Do you tend to sleep better at hotels than at home?
- Is your mattress 7 to 10 years old?
- Do you wake up tired or achy?
- Does your mattress look saggy or lumpy?
If you answered "yes" to any of the questions above - it's time!
What size should you pick - 'cause size matters!
Let's just say, when buying a mattress, less is not more!
Picking the size of a new mattress is really up to your preferences. We do recommend considering the following:
- Number of sleeping partners
- The size, weight and age of each sleeping partner
- How much space you prefer for movement
- The size of the room where the mattress will be used
- What the mattress will be used for (e.g. guest bedroom/main bedroom, daily use/occasional use, etc…).
Standard bed sizes in South Africa:
- Single - 91cm × 188cm
- 3/4 - 107cm × 188cm
- Double - 137cm × 188cm
- Queen - 152cm × 188cm
- King - 183cm × 188cm
Multi-layer Foam, Bonnell-Spring or Pocket-Spring
Every type of mattress has its own advantages. Make sure to look carefully at all types of matresses before you buy.
Multi-layer foam mattresses, like our MediMax range, with our latest RegoTec® technology, regulates the body temperature perfectly to ensure you have the most comfortable sleeping experience in any weather condition.
The multi-layer foam mattress is usually your cheaper option and is widely available. It never makes a noise and is easy to move, turn or rotate.
The Bonnell-spring mattress offers support from head to toe. It is a solid spring system in the centre of the mattress wrapped with protective material to ensure that you will not feel the spring. We then strategically layer the spring with various densities of high quality foam to ensure that you have the best sleeping experience this galaxy has to offer. All our mattresses are manufactured with RegoTec® technology to keep you comfortably warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The bonnell-spring also allows air to ventilate through the mattress helping to keep your mattress fresh and odourless.
All innerspring mattresses manufactured by SwissMate Manufacturing come with side assist to make sure the sides of your mattress will never bend or sag.
The pocket-spring mattress provides all the advantages like the bonnell-spring mattress – but this spring system has a solid frame with many individual spring pockets. This allows supporting and conforming to the shape of your body, putting pressure on all the right places of your body to ensure you feel like a million bucks when you wake up.
This also allows your sleeping partner to move without you feeling a thing.
Choose the right firmness
Our bodies differ from person to person just as our preferences do, but there is a general rule when it comes to your health and the firmness of your mattress.
- If your mattress is to firm – it will not the support the body evenly and may cause discomfort at the heaviest points like your hips and shoulders.
- If your mattress is too soft – you could sink into the surface and have a hard time moving, which can cause tingling, numbness, or aches.
The best mattress supports the spine at all points allowing your spine to maintain its natural curve.
The very important 15-minute test
When you are busy looking for the perfect mattress, make sure you wear comfortable, loose clothes and slip on shoes. This will help when you lie down on a mattress. Do not be shy to lie down on the mattress; the sales person is expecting you too. Make sure to lie down for 5 minutes on your back, 5 minutes on your stomach, and 5 minutes rotating between your sides.
Make sure to concentrate on the firmness and texture of the mattress.
The less exciting
These points may be less exciting, but is just as important.
- Ask about the warranty, guarantee and return policy of the shop, make sure you understand it and read the fine print!
- Make sure you have the warranty tag on (keep it on!)
- Make sure you register your mattress with the seller; this will make your warranty claim a breeze!
- Ask them if the mattress is treated against infestations.
- Ask them about add-on products like mattress protectors - this will help you to keep your new mattress clean.
- Remember - your mattress has to be clean when filing a claim against your warranty